Tuesday 1 July 2008

Freakin' busy day today.

A copy of "The Ride" arrived today. 145 pages, lots and lots of photos, over 50 short stories (I even wrote one + Richard Risemberg, and many others). It's issue #1 from Philip and Andrew Diprose from Great Britain. Check it out - just 1,000 copies available at 7pounds.
A 56cm Ritchey Break-Away Track showed up at the office door today, so I had to put it together and give it a test, right? First Nils and I rode up to Suttons Bay, we probably rode 30 miles, Nils on his Marinoni with 49x16 (15?) and me with a 34x14 YOW? Good for my spin Nils says. Also good for just burying me on every downhill. I forced him onto the Leelanau Trail (unpaved two-track) for about a mile. He says he was taking it easy because he didn't want to flat. I think he was just scared to wind out that big gear. We got back about 6, and then I hooked up with a much younger group of fg folk and took them up Paper Birch Dr and back. We did a few fairly fast laps around a residential block - they'd never ridden a paceline fast through corners. Shit they did pretty good, thought it was pretty ok. Showed them how to ride in a chevron in a crosswind, few other things. We rode about 15 miles or so, 4 of the 5 had never ridden that far before. They were all about 20, except Erin - he's 24 I think. Wore 'em out.




Earlier in the ride we bumped into Jonathan and Mark doing some Trials riding on the steps at a law office. Jonathan is damn good. But look at that bike he's got.

4 comments:

Nils said...

I was riding 49*18. 49*16 or 49*15 would have left that Ritchey in the dust.

"I forced him onto the Leelanau Trail (unpaved two-track) for about a mile. He says he was taking it easy because he didn't want to flat. I think he was just scared to wind out that big gear"

Forced me to ride on the trail? Spare me. And as I recall you were the one saying you didn't want to go any faster because you were afraid that your front wheel would wash out.

I like the photo showing the Ritchey broken down and in the travel case.

Next time I'll swap the 18t cog out for a 16t cog and you bring your Pinarello!

Ade said...

that ride up to holiday definatley was fun and exhausting. the paceline bit was especially cool, and it was hillarious when alex went down into the bushes "next right" ha

roscoe said...

Can't wait to hear more about that Ritchey frame.

Marsha Marsha Marsha said...

ha, i wish random track frames would show up to my door!

lucky man.